Monday, February 11, 2008

I am now BANDED!!!

It has been a while since i have put an entry on my blog so i thought i had better get my but into gear and update. So alot has happened i went on optifast on Jan 15th. that was and experience on it's own. I really am not a fan of optifast. It is not so much because of the taste but more so of the not being able to chew and eat much. I mean i was on 3 shakes a day and 2 cups of selected veges. (AND I MEAN SELECTED!!) I will admit i did cheat it a few times. We had Dad's 60th birthday party and i ate at it. I loved it:o) Then on the saturday before my surgery i went to woolies supermarket and i bought the most delish lamb steaks. I had them for lunch. Oh my god they were nice. I do not regret doing that as i feel if i did not i would have felt deprived. So anyway sunday the 3rd of Feb come and i was very emotional all day. I was nervous/scared/excited/happy just every emotion i suppose. I had tears off and on all day. Just thinking about it all. mean I was getting weight loss surgery 2morrow. I was going to be offically a lap band patient.

So ok, Feb 4th the day of my surgery. I was not allowed to eat or drink anything so i was so dry in the mouth. I feel sick due to nerves and excitement. I am still runing to the loo with the runs, but today it is worse due to nerves. Anyway we get ready the kids and Craig and i get in the car ready to leave to pick up mum and drive to bundy to change my life forever......
The drive itself was good the kids behaved well. We got to bundy early so we decided to find a motel for craig, Mum and the kids. So we do and we unload all their gear and i have a play with the kids trying to calm my nerves. It is silly i suppose but i have a fear that i may die on the table. That scares the life out of me not ever being able to see Craig and the kids again. But i know i have to do this and be strong for me and my family. I want to live. I don't want live life from the side lines any more. I am going to loose this weight and be involved in life!!!

So we go to the hospital at 12.00 and tell admissions that i am here to have a lapband surgery. Craig takes video of me going in and getting oprganised. It is nice that he is excited for me. The nurse then comes and takes me to my room for the night. I was a bit dissapointed, for the money you pay for this private hospital the room was very old and small. I think anyway. But that does not matter. Now the nurse comes in and tells me that Dr Delacy is running ahead of time and that i will be going in sooner that thought! OMG i was not supposed to go in until 2.30. So the nurse started to do all of her obs on me and she she descovers that i have a temp of 37.8. She then asks me am i ok do i feel unwell etc etc etc. She then says she will have to check with the drs if this will cause a problem. I am thinking oh not they are not going to do me s**t! Just my luck. The nurse comes back in and tells me to go and have a cool shower with the pre op wash and we will see what my temp is then. So i did. It come down abit thank god.... She also weighed me and since being on Optifast i have lost 7kgs. Wow Got to be happy with that:o) I was 141.4 now i am 134kgs...
So i am ready and prepped for theatre. It has all happened so quick i just don't have time to think. Then they say ok time to go. I give my kids a kiss and craig a kiss but there was no time for mum. Oscar started to cry saying where is mummy going??? That was it for me i was crying too. As was mum. They wheeled me away and all i could hear was Oscar and Craig and Mum saying by Mummy see you soon I love you.

So i am in the theatre area thinking well yep this is it they are going to band me. That's what i thought anyway. First i had Dr Haines the Aneathisist come and questioned me about my temp. Then i had the scubs nurse come and drill me too. Also i had a few nures and Dr's talk to me so i found out they were still unsure if they wanted to do the surgery beacause of this temp. I was freaking out a bit to say the least. Then they come and told me the good news that Dr Delacy and other have said it is all a goer. Thank god for that.
Then they wheel me into this little cubby like room where i see Dr Delacy and Dr haines and others too. I chat to Dr D about my hernia i have and is he going to fix it at the same time. We chatted and he strongly preferred that i do it when i have lost 50kgs or more he said it is much better to do it then. I was dissapointed but i trust him so i said ok.
Now they wheel me into the actual Theatre room. It was so bloody cold. I don't know why but it was freezing. I slid over on to the table and lay down. Dr Haines says starts to get the drip and things ready so he puts the needle in. That was ok. Then he said ok i am going to put an oxygen mask on you and i am also going to put some relaxent in your arm. With that i said to them all. Take care of me and i said a little prayer to my baby boy Izac. Then i was out like a light i was asleep. The time was 1.30pm.
So i wake up in recovery very groggy of course. But also all i can remember is the PAIN!!! Oh the pain was BAD. I remember crying and just pointing to my tummy. Then i hurd them say they were giving me morfine. Thank goodness! I was wheeled back from recovery at 3.45. I was there awhile longer than normal. Craig and Mum and the kids were there waiting for me. I was glad to see them but i was so groggy. I just kept falling asleep.
Anyway i will continue my entry another time. That's enough for now.

So to be continued......

Cheers Tina.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tina, it's so good to see a long entry - I wondered how you went. Congratulations. Until I read yours I forgot that I had the same problem with my temperature - it was up and they were hesitant to do the surgery but it came down. Phew! Welcome to the other side - I can't wait to hear your next installment.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tina
What a wonderfully strong woman you are. You have been through so much but now your banded things are going to brighten up! A new start for a new you.
Your doing great and I look forward to following your journey with you to see the wonderful changes as they come about.
hugs
anitaband